Did you know that essential oils are used for more than skin care and nutrition? Essential oils, like lavender and tea tree oil, are the natural aromatic compounds found in bark, stems, seeds, and other plant parts. These oils are perfect components for eliminating odors, removing tough stains, and preventing household pests.
Lemon Oil- Lemons are considered a magic fruit. They eliminate smells and disinfect counters.
- Add a few drops of lemon oil to a bowl of fresh fruit and cool water and swirl the clean fruit for a few second. This increases the shelf life of the fresh fruit.
- Lemon oil is great at removing gum, adhesive, crayon and marker from almost all surfaces.
- To disinfect your countertops, soak a dishcloth in warm water mixed with lemon oil and tea tree oil.
- To eliminate odors in your trash can, use two drops of lemon oil and tea tree oil on a cotton ball or pad and place in the trash can.
- If your bathroom has an unpleasant odor, tuck a cotton ball soaked in lemon oil behind the toilet to freshen the bathroom.
Lavender Oil- Unlike lemon oil, lavender has a sweet smell that will help keep bugs and pests away.
- To keep flies away, fill a large spray bottle with two cups of water and 25 drops of lavender and spray around your home.
Peppermint Oil- Peppermint is another great way to keep pests away.
- Add two to three drops of peppermint oil to the cardboard inside of the toilet paper to release a fresh scent every time it is unrolled.
- Fill a spray bottle with water and 15 drops of peppermint oil and spray where spiders and critters tend to enter your home.
Cinnamon Oil- This amazing oil will clear your kitchen of any funky smells.
- To kill kitchen odors, simmer a pan of water spiked with a few drops of clove or cinnamon oil.
Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil) - Melaleuca has over 90 different compounds that assist purification.
- A drop of Malaleuca in a cup of white vinegar that is then poured into your washing machine will not only soften your clothes, but also serve as a natural antimicrobial.
Essential Oil of Your Choice- Pick your favorite oil for the follow tips.
- Place a few drops of essential oil into your vacuum cleaner bag or dust container. The vacuum motor will diffuse it around your home as you clean.
- Use this same idea with your home air filter. It is an essential oil diffuser for a whole house freshening.
Essential oils can help your house feel and smell better. However, if you want a truly clean and fresh home, call Two Ladies and a Mop. Whether you need some help around the house for, or after, the holidays or simply want an extra hand once a month, we’re here to clean.