All of our kids have favorite bath tub toys they play with on a daily basis. But are you cleaning them properly so they don’t develop mold? If your answer is, “No”, please read our cleaning tips below.
- Why mold matter- Mold is harmful and can cause respiratory problems, allergies, and other health problems if it isn’t contained and taken care of. It will cause serious issues for your body and weaken your immune system.
- Boil all bath toys- If your kids’ toys are starting to look at little green around the edges, simply place them in a pot of boiling water and squeeze out any old water that is holding bacteria with a pair of long tongs. Once that is complete, allow them to cool and dry completely.
- Plug any holes that are in the toys- A lot of bath toys have holes at the bottom to squirt water out of or squeak like an animal. Those holes are the breeding grounds for mold to grow and fester. The best course of action is to take a hot glue gun and fill in the holes before the toys ever come in contact with water. This will allow your kids to play in the bath without worrying about nasty mold building inside their favorite bath toys.
- Bleach the mold away- Soak all bath toys periodically in a beach bath overnight. Mix ¾ cup of bleach with a gallon of water. The next morning, rinse the toys multiple times with hot water and allow to air dry. If you don’t like to use harsh chemicals around your kids, you can always use vinegar in place of the bleach. When using vinegar, mix a gallon of water with ½ cup of vinegar. Instead of allowing the toys to soak overnight, only soak them for an hour. After an hour, scrub away any mold that has formed and allow to dry.
- Stick the toys in the wash- Routinely the bath toys need to have a good bath to ensure that they are sanitized and mold free. Running them in the dishwasher is a great time saving method to ensure all toys are clean inside and out. If you don’t have a dishwasher, simply run a sink full of hot water with liquid soap and a splash of bleach and allow them to soak before hand washing the toys.
Two Ladies and a Mop are here to make sure that you and your family stay safe and has a clean home. If for some reason your kids’ bath toys still have gunk or mold on them, simply toss them out and purchase new ones. And for the health of your family, call Two Ladies and a Mop so we can help you keep your bathroom clean and mold free.