Most children have trouble keeping their rooms clean and are great at coming up with excuses for not keeping their rooms clean, one excuse is perfectly valid — they don’t have a system that works for them. Well, here are some ideas you can use to help your kids keep their rooms somewhat more civilized:
- Many kids don’t hang up their clothes because they literally can’t reach the closet rods or hooks. Lower them or install them in more accessible places.
- Set up an organization system. Label drawers, shelves, and baskets with pictures or words, “Shoes,” “Sweaters,” “Socks,” “Games,” “Books”. This provides a designated place for everything and is usually easy.
- Use inexpensive plastic baskets to contain and organize smaller items such as art supplies, toy cars, blocks, action figures, and trading cards.
- Go through the current collection of trinkets with your child to whittle it down to the “must keep” stuff and put the rest in a container of its own. Let your child know that when the container is full, it’s time to purge.
- Keep a trash can in your child’s room, and a laundry basket as well. This makes it easier for your child to be tidy and for you when it comes time to clean and gather laundry.
- You can take it one step further and give them a simple cleaning kit of their very own. For young children, a duster and small broom with a dust pan would be a good choice.
By providing your children with the means of keeping organized now, the better the chances are that they will be organized later in life. Two Ladies and a Mop offer weekly cleaning, bi-weekly cleaning, monthly cleaning, and more. Give us a call today for a free in-home quote.