Clean eating doesn’t just apply to organic foods with no pesticides. It also refers to having a clean kitchen while you cook. Below I am going to give you some simple tips to help keep your kitchen clean while preparing a meal for your family.
- Always start with a clean kitchen. If the kitchen is clean when you start, you will be more inclined to keep it clean so you don’t have to tackle such a large workload after you and your family have enjoyed your meal.
- In addition to starting with a clean kitchen, always start with an empty dishwasher. This allows you to start loading dirty dishes as you use them.
- Keep the trash can at your side while you are prepping veggies and opening cans. This will eliminate having to carry trash from one area to another or it piling up on your counter.
- If you happen to drop food on the floor, pick it up before you or someone steps on it and tracks it into the rest of your home.
- Using kitchen items that have multiple purposes will help you keep your dirty dishes to a minimum.
- Keep one of your sinks full of HOT soapy water so you can soak items that will stain or have stuck on food before you load it into the dishwasher. This will also be handy if you have dishes that are hand wash only. Go ahead and wash them and get them put away.
- Spoon rests can get messy, instead fill a glass with warm water and use it to temporarily store your tasting and stirring spoons. Since the glass is vertical, it will take up less counterspace.
- It’s a good idea to lay all of your ingredients out before you start cooking, and it is also an even better idea to put them away as you use them.
- Take care of getting up spills or crumbs that have fallen as you go. Keep a damp cloth near you at all times to help get anything sticky up from the counter, stove, or floor.
- As your food is baking or simmering, use the down time to start the dishwasher or hand wash any items that need to be cleaned.
Not only does having a clean workspace increase safety in the kitchen, it also does wonders for your ability to enjoy the process. If you need any help, call Two Ladies and a Mop today to set up a free consultation so we can give your kitchen a good deep cleaning.